Saturday, January 29, 2011

First Days in Bafut

First day in Bafut

Well, I was the first to be picked up this morning by Mama Veronica. First order of business- the grass roots car had conked out down the lane and we had boys push it somewhere to get something done. John, Veronica’s husband took great pleasure in telling me about the state of life living with a grassroots woman. There was a lot of laughter- the car was the worst of the worst cars I have ever seen. Totally cracked windshield, rusted out body, stuffing out of the seats, metal exposed in the seat rims. But, it chugged along and got us home ( My luggage had to go in an accompanying motor cycle taxi).

Home is 8 miles outside Bamenda (Mile 8), then 15-20 minutes down a winding DIRT ROAD. Veronica and John have 5 children, one still at home in secondary school, one in secondary school boarding, a daughter Theresa. In university ( she has been appointed my guide and protector along with the boys). They have built a small complex on a piece of land. I am to live in a LITTLE suite on the other side of the courtyard to the main house. I am enclosed by caring and cooking. I have a little sitting room with leapard print wicker chairs and a TV, a small bedroom with single bed and a wardrobe with little lambs on it. Remember the ones to hang your clothes in and zip up? Then a closet kitchen that the boys are still finishing and a little bathroom, with toilet and small sink. Shower is a hand held one, cold water only.

The family has encouraged me to join them anytime in a large living room space with comfy furniture, bigger TV and VCR. The kitchen is a fire pit set aside in a large outdoor court yard. There is a new pup who was a rescue dog ( no need for my dog spray here). First day I watched fu-fu and ndole being cooked over a fire pit ( 2 hours). We ate and then went to the Women’s Center. It is a couple of desks, a few sewing machines and a few computers. Internet is dial up.

Then a big adventure going back to the market in Bamenda to get a few foods and towels. Theresa, a daughter home for the afternoon from university came with me to haggle and protect me ( orders of Mama). So, I bought used towels that looked like Value Village rejects, plastic containers that again looked suspiciously used and good vegies and fruits that I got taken advantage of (worse if I was alone). I got bargaining tips ( I smile too much and look too eager) and lessons on getting taxis.

Back to the center where two elders were waiting for me. They had walked all the way to the house wanting to great me and I was shopping! I was invited for a beer which was non negotiable and all the group talked Pidgin- not a word understood by me. Many people, especially the older people, don’t speak English, especially if they haven’t been educated. Just when things were interesting enough the power went out, a frequent occurance here apparently. Candles were brought out and everyone continued to sit.

Home at last, unpacked groceries into the common kitchen and am alone. This will take some getting used too. The women here are trying to do a little of everything. They help each other with small loans for businesses, help pay for medicines ( they just got someone to donate some medical supplies), teach sewing for young women to have skill, Theresa is trying to get youth together, giving families money for school fees, helping support a midwife to deliver babies more safely….. Little money and lots of ideas. Transportation is horrendous. Women are walking some for hours to get a basket of vegies to a market. These same women have furnished my home, supplied my kitchen, made my bed and are feeding me. I feel blessed by kindness and welcome by everyone I met today.

Tomorrow we go to a funeral of a client who died this morning from AIDS
( ’a stubborn man who refused to take medicines’). I have been told that this week is to visit, rest, and get organized. I have to combat the urge to ’do something’ and just be!

Well, off to make my ’still need to buy list’ for going into town on Saturday. I have my outfit and caba ( a big mumu dress) to pick up, toilet paper and bleach ( have to clean my little place and get it for the veggies) and hangers to buy and a housewarming party to go to. He is a Philipino volunteer who has been here for 1.5 years and just signed on for a second stint. He is a fantastic cook and is making an Asian feast.

Day Two In Bafut

I spent the day waiting, sitting, waiting, then at a funeral where we sat, ate, drank, sat, ate moved over, drank, ate, watched dances including a masked dance. I was exhausted from the sitting and the heat. It will be an art to not accept all that is offered to me as the food is not all that palatable. My host says it will take years to build up a tolerance for the food! Other volunteer veterans say most of us will loose weight here.

No comments:

Post a Comment